My photo
Hi! We're Lance and Rebekah Gibson. We are newlyweds happily settled in the Lonestar state. We love lots of things including drive-in movies, game nights, anything involving the lake, and our Lord and Savior.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Multiply

Over the past couple of months, Lance and I have been meeting every other Sunday evening with a small group focused on Discipleship. As a group we are currently digging into the new study on Discipleship by Francis Chan and David Platt called Multiply. This material is awesome and clearly discusses the call placed on believers to not only be disciples of Christ but to "go and make disciples of all nations." ( Matthew 28:19). One aspect of this study that I have really enjoyed is the way that Chan and Platt first discuss what it means for people who are already believers to simply BE disciples of Christ. What does a disciple look like? What does a disciple concern him/herself with? What is really the job of a disciple? Well, we have to figure all of that out before we can really go and try to make disciples ourselves, right? That's just what we did. It has been an eye-opening, slightly painful kind of process, but there is no doubt in my mind that I now know what it means to truly call myself a disciple of Jesus (not just a follower), and how to take my knowledge and relationship with Him and our into another believer. So. Exciting! 

Well, something else super exciting happened over the past few months. Not only did the Lord reveal to me who I needed to pour into, He also revealed to me that He had someone really special in mind to take me through this process of discipleship! He first just laid it on my heart to begin praying about who I should seek out to develop an intimate relationship with, with the intention of this person pouring into me. Well, I did that for about a week and as I did, one person came to my mind over and over again. Honestly, I was a little surprised at first because this person and I spend a good deal of time around each other at church and she is also in the small group with us, but I had never really shared any close experiences with her. I continued to pray, but I knew without a doubt that this was who the Lord desired me to learn from. 

This lady and I have met two times so far and I am so in awe of the Lord's sovereignty. He paired me up with someone that I can confidently say is the epitome of a godly woman, and is someone who can truly relate to so many of the struggles I face and am trying to overcome. There is so much I can learn from her, and I can't wait to see how the Lord uses her to grow both of us!


I encourage you, as a believer, to pray about becoming a discipleship partner with someone you know you could learn from. With the call to learn more about the Lord and to dig deeper into His word also comes another extremely important one: the call for you to be a disciple-maker yourself. Pray earnestly about who the Lord would desire you to pour into and encourage in the faith. The benefits will be eternal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment