My photo
Hi! We're Lance and Rebekah Gibson. We are newlyweds happily settled in the Lonestar state. We love lots of things including drive-in movies, game nights, anything involving the lake, and our Lord and Savior.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Baked BBQ Chicken Calzones

I have to say, if it weren't for Pinterest, my husband and I may have starved by now. You see, I grew up as the little baker of my family. I tried out all kinds of yummy cookies, cupcakes, and other sweet concoctions (which is also why I was a CHUB in my early teenage years) but I NEVER cooked an actual meal. Apparently, you need actual nutrients to survive and be healthy, not just sugar. Who knew, right? 

Anyways, I was pretttyyyy nervous about cooking for my new husband after we got married. I knew I could manage laundry, keep our home clean, and whip up all the no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies he would want, but providing healthy, well-balanced meals for him every night? Oh.my.gosh. I imagined alllll sorts of things going awry with me responsible for dinner. Thus began my obsession with doing everything perfectly, but that's a long story for another day.

All that to say, I would like to thank PINTEREST for the glory that is the recipe section of their website. They have provided me with the links to numerous yummy and easy to fix dishes, like the one below! We ate this for dinner tonight and it was a definite HIT with my hubby. Then again, he loves bacon-anything, especially when BBQ sauce is involved. 

Enjoy! 





Barbecue Chicken Calzones Recipe:

Ingredients:
6 slices bacon
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
3 cups shredded, cooked chicken
1 bottle barbecue sauce (I like Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce)
1 can refrigerated biscuits
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons chopped, fresh cilantro
Directions:  
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp.  Remove bacon from pan, blot with paper towels and crumble.  Add onion and shredded chicken to a pan with olive oil.  Saute over medium heat until onion is tender.  Stir in 1/2 cup   barbecue sauce and remove from heat.  Mix in crumbled bacon.
Flatten out biscuit dough on a greased cookie sheet.  Spread a teaspoon of barbecue sauce on each biscuit.  Divide the chicken mixture between the biscuits, spreading on only half of each biscuit and keeping 1/2 inch away from the edge.  Sprinkle cheese and cilantro over top of each biscuit.  Fold biscuits in half and press the edges together with a fork to seal.  Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown.  

No comments:

Post a Comment